W2K SRV records and BIND

Tim Maestas tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Wed Jan 3 01:25:20 UTC 2001

	Maybe I'm just thick-headed, but I still don't understand
	what you're saying.  Your BIND server should not send
	a dynamic update to anything.  If it is the master (the
	one and ONLY master) then all of your other DNS servers
	(Win2k or BIND) should be slaves.  If they are slaves,
	then they will get their copy of the zone (complete with
	SRV records) from the master.  If the BIND server is the
	master, it should never have a "partial" list of anything.
	It is the master.  Period.  I don't know what you mean by
	"flaky way SRV records are stored".  I've seen MS screw
	a bunch of stuff up, but this doesn't describe something
	that I've seen.
	Is your problem that you have some Win2k DNS servers out
	there that think they are masters, and therefore some
	dynamic updates are going to the Win2k servers and some
	are going to the BIND server?
	If I'm just way out in left field and anyone else has
	been following this thread feel free to jump in.
	Maybe a description of your DNS infrastructure would
	help me better understand what your problem is.  For
	example, a list of your DNS servers, their platforms,
	and whether they are slaves or masters.

-Tim