Using root server...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jan 2 17:04:55 UTC 2001

In article <92t0hk$r8r at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Cihan Subasi (Garanti Teknoloji) <CihanS at garanti.com.tr> wrote:
>	How can I set the dns to use a specific root server....Mine always
>uses a.root-servers.com to get the gtld servers but is it possible to force
>the dns to use b root or c root? Thanks....

No, it's not possible to do this.  It uses the server that has had the best
response time in the past.  Why do you want to use another server if a
responds best?

Changing the hints file to remove a won't help, since the first thing that
the server does is ask a root server for the current list of root servers;
the hints file is only used for that first query.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA