Keep getting NOTAUTH with nsupdate TSIG

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Jan 2 15:58:19 UTC 2001

    Daniel> Is TSIG authentication REALLY implemented in bind 8.2p7?

If you meant 8.2.2P7, then yes, TSIG is really implemented. Be sure
that the hosts using TSIG have their clocks synchronised. There are
timestamps in the Transaction Signatures to prevent reply attacks. If
the clocks are out by "too much", the TSIGs will fail to verify.

    Daniel> Without TSIG, everything works just fine. With TSIG, no
    Daniel> matter what I do, i keep getting NOTAUTH in the debug
    Daniel> sequence of nsupdate. I KNOW I'm authoritative for the
    Daniel> zone and I KNOW the configs are good.

Well why not show them here so another pair of eyes can check them?
And if you could post extracts from the name server logs,that would be
helpful too. So would the actual error message printed by nsupdate.

BTW, although you say "KNOW you're authoritative for the zone", the
NOTAUTH reply from the name server suggests otherwise. The name server
is saying it's not authoritative for the zone and it *really* knows
for sure about that. :-)

Here's what RFC2136 has to say about the NOTAUTH error code:

              NOTAUTH     9       The server is not authoritative for
                                  the zone named in the Zone Section.

   3.1.1. The Zone Section is checked to see that there is exactly one
   RR therein and that the RR's ZTYPE is SOA, else signal FORMERR to the
   requestor.  Next, the ZNAME and ZCLASS are checked to see if the zone
   so named is one of this server's authority zones, else signal NOTAUTH
   to the requestor.

It might be an idea to check the name server logs and find out why
it's not authoritative. Maybe there's a syntax error in the zone file
or else you're trying to update some other zone that the server isn't
master for.