Help: setting a CNAME record for the domain

Erik Aronesty erik at primedata.org
Sun Feb 25 17:40:59 UTC 2001

Dear Tal,

- adding a "com zone" is tricky - and no, you would have to add ALL of your records for "teiko.com" to the "com" zone (but that's OK since most of them are just cname's anyway).  Also, your server would no longer function as a recursive nameserver - and could only be used as authoritative.

- Secondary DNS servers *should* be able to handle this - but I'm not sure - yo may want to try and use 8.2.3 to secondary from a 8.2.2 server and see what happens.

- The BIND maintainers are obstinate about this feature - and feel it is some sort of terrible thing.  I have been arguing about it with them for months.  8.2.3 was supposed to be a maintenance release - and yet they severely altered the behavior of the server.  It's screwy.

- bear in mind that 8.2.2 supported this feature

Here's the minimalist patch:

			- Erik