If I change the nameserver for my domain name do I need to change my registration also?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 28 23:32:12 UTC 2001

If you want other nameservers to use ns1.us.dellhost.com and
ns2.us.dellhost.com for resolving names in your domain, then your
registration should reflect those nameservers. You can always change
your registration back to your own nameservers if things don't work out
with dellhost.com. If dellhost.com is hosting the DNS, then someone
there should really be the Tech Contact for the domain, but you can
still remain Admin Contact, which would allow you to replace the Tech
Contact if necessary. There's no need to actually change legal ownership
of your domain to your hosting company, and in fact, if you think things
could get really ugly, you *should* retain legal ownership of the
domain, if nothing else, since the owner has final say over
*anything* in the domain record.

If you want to ease the nameservice transition (in both directions,
potentially), list *both* your nameservers *and* dellhost.com's
nameservers in the delegations (this assumes of course that dellhost.com
would agree to let you do zone transfers from them and thus function as
a slave for your domain).

- Kevin