cname quick question

Erik Aronesty erik at primedata.org
Wed Feb 28 19:17:22 UTC 2001

Tim,

1 - All the resolvers on the planet already support this feature - if they
follow the RFC.  Also, the feature is "backward compatible" - so you don't
have to make changes to servers - if you don't want to.  Finally, BIND
versions 4 though 8.2.2 supported this feature - so most servers already
support it anyway.

2 - No you can't expect companies with real network infrastructures to 'tell
you' when their IP addresses change.  That's ridiculous.  Especially if the
firm has 10,000+ users.

3- I have resorted to creating a "com." zone on my authoritative only
servers, and then placing the CNAMEs in the "com." zone.  This works, but
it's a horrible hack.

4- ISC changed the functionality of their system in a maintenance release.
They did not provide a workable alternative - and did not consider the
change with mentioning on their web site.

5- They could have waited 1 or two revs, at least until DNAME's were ready,
to make such a impacting change.

6- There is absolutely no semantic reason to restrict CNAMEs from a
particular "node" in a tree of recursive information because of the
structure of some "file on disk".  IE: DNS is not BIND.  If the resolver
algorithm supports the feature - then it was probably a failure in the RFC
to elucidate a special case.

            - Erik