UNIX BIND Server & W2000 DNS Server

Christian Krackowizer ckrackowiz at std.schuler-ag.com
Wed Feb 28 09:12:46 UTC 2001

At 08:46 27.02.2001 -0600, you wrote:
>We have decided that with AD-integrated zones, we will have ONE MS W2k
>DNS running on one of the DCs.  I looked at MS Article Q282826
>("Active Directory-Integrated DNS Zone Serial Number Behavior"), and
>after many readings (and making a flowchart), I can not see how MS
>guarantees that DDNS updates will not be lost.  For example, given
>three DCs, each one running the DNS service.  One of these will be
>listed in the SOA record as the master; the other two will be
>slaves.  I am not sure to which DNS MS will direct DDNS updates.
>I assume that updates can be directed to any of the three DNS services.
>If two different updates arrive at the two slaves at the same time,
>I do not see how the MS DNS and AD code can handle this case, as I
>believe (from Q282826) that each of the slaves will make the update
>and increment the serial number.  We now have two copies of the zone
>with the same serial number but different contents.

Add: if you have 3 AD-DNS servers, you have 3 primary. You can see this
when checking the SOA on each server.
The clients direct their update to the list of their servers in the order
you've specified it. So if the first is down, it will be the second etc ...
but only one server will be used. This is the same as for clients on Unix -
they always take the first living and stay happy with him forever ...

with best regards

Christian Krackowizer
schuler technodat GmbH
Jakob-Haringer-Strasse 6