Should we have NS records ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 27 22:38:34 UTC 2001

Tal Dayan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our DNS server is backed up by 4 remote secondary servers that are
> registered with the
> root servers for our domain, while our own server is not registered. This
> configuration seems to work just fine.
>
> Do we need to have NS records for the 4 secondary servers ? Do we need to
> have NS record
> for our name server (which is not registered) ?
>
> Currently we have only an NS record for our own server (which is not
> registered) and none for the secondary servers.

You like to live dangerously, eh? Having only 1 NS record means you have a
Single Point of Failure (unless of course that address is somehow made
fault-tolerant through clustering, network routing tricks, etc.)

If you don't want to list your master in the NS records, you don't have to.
But you should list *all* servers that you want to receive queries for your
domain, in your NS records. More generally, the NS records in your zone
should match those in your delegations.

- Kevin