Another Delegation question

Shaffer, Kurt Kurt_Shaffer at steris.com
Tue Feb 27 14:11:21 UTC 2001

Ok folks, I have yet another question for ya.

The wonderful Windows gurus at my site decided to start using Win2K
DNS/DHCP.  They started to
2 domains as follows:

mycompany.com
ad.mycompany.com
us.ad.mycompany.com

My UNIX servers control the mycompany.com domain and their new server
run the other two.  This is all
internal network stuff, btw.  I have added the following info into my
records to try to start delegation.

For the forward file I added.

ad.mycompany.com.  86400  IN  NS  srv05.ad.mycompany.com.
srv05.ad.mycompany.com.  86400  In  A  172.17.8.108

For the reverse I created a new file called rev.172.17 and added this
info.

8   86400  IN  NS  unix.mycompany.com.
14 86400  IN  NS  srv05.ad.mycompany.com.
15 86400  IN  NS  srv05.ad.mycompany.com.

There are other subnets but they are configured the same as the above
items.
All of our subnets are going to the 172.17 IPs.  I didn't think I needed
to create any 172 files.

When I do any lookups on a unix box for anything in the ad or us.ad
domains it will not do the
resolution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
KS