UNIX BIND Server & W2000 DNS Server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 27 05:16:08 UTC 2001

Danny Mayer wrote:

> At 10:33 PM 2/26/01, Tim Maestas wrote:
>
> >         Call it a MS "feature".  Apparently, since Win2k DNS
> >         replicates zone data via Active Directory, they feel
> >         no need to keep the serial numbers in sync between
> >         different servers.......
>
>          I believe there are these things called RFC's that require that they be
>   in sync...!

Hmm... Do the RFC's *actually* require this? Or do they just say that serial number
changes are the way to trigger zone transfers via AXFR/IXFR, with the
"natural" consequence being that if only AXFR/IXFR is used for zone replication, or
if some out-of-band mechanism is used which replicates the zonefiles literally, the
serial numbers will all stay more-or-less in sync? I suspect that MicroSoft is
*once*again* parsing the RFC's in their own idiosyncratic way, and following the
letter rather than the spirit of those documents...

- Kevin