NXDOMAIN error!

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Mon Feb 26 20:39:00 UTC 2001

Allen Wong wrote:

> Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:
>
> > It means exactly what it says. Your name server was told that
> > ns1.mydomain.com was a name server for some zone. [Why did you hide
> > the actual name?] When your server tried to resolve ns1.mydomain.com,
> > it got an NXDOMAIN response because the name ns1.mydomain.com does not
> > exist. This question is asked and answered frequently. It's a pity you
> > didn't consult the list archives or the A-Z of common BIND error
> > messages at:
> >       http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/bind-messages.htm
>
> I'm also getting that error and yes I do know that it's in the FAQ.  I'm pretty
> sure that my "ns1.mydomain.com" does exist as it's on that server.  The FAQ
> mentions that it's likely that authoritative nameservers for that domain are
> badly misconfigured.  I suspect this to be true but I'm not sure where to look
> to fix this.  Since Google bought Deja, the links listed by the FAQ are broken.
> If it helps, my domain is "submoron.org".  And I don't mind RTFM answers as
> long as you direct me the right "FM".  I've read "DNS and BIND" and much of the
> documentation at ISC, but it's possible that I could have missed something.
> Thanks.
>
> Allen

Allen,

Here are the results of a 'doc' run on submoron.org.  This is part of
learning something.

Regards,
Jim

Doc-2.1.4: doc -v -p submoron.org.
Doc-2.1.4: Starting test of submoron.org.   parent is org.
Doc-2.1.4: Test date - Mon Feb 26 15:34:47 EST 2001
Note: Skipping parent domain testing
Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for submoron.org. @a.gtld-servers.net.
(non-AUTH)
Using NSlist from parent domain server a.gtld-servers.net.
NS list summary for submoron.org. from parent (org.) servers
  == ns1.curiousbaby.com. ns1.submoron.org.
;; res_nsend to server ns1.curiousbaby.com.  65.0.144.230: Connection
timed out
DIGERR (UNKNOWN): dig @ns1.curiousbaby.com. for SOA of submoron.org.
failed
soa @ns1.submoron.org. for submoron.org. serial: 2001012801
;; res_nsend to server ns1.submoron.org.  64.195.231.173: Connection
timed out
DIGERR (UNKNOWN): dig @ns1.submoron.org. for NS of submoron.org. failed
sort: submoron.org..ns.all: No such file or directory
ERROR: NS list from submoron.org. authoritative servers does not
  === match NS list from parent (org.) servers
NS list summary for submoron.org. from authoritative servers
  ==
ERROR: ns1.submoron.org. claims to be authoritative, but does not appear
in
NS list from authoritative servers
Checking 1 potential addresses for hosts at submoron.org.
  == 64.195.231.173
in-addr PTR record found for 64.195.231.173
   Incomplete test for submoron.org. (2)
Done testing submoron.org.  Mon Feb 26 15:35:57 EST 2001