Multilingual Domain Name

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Feb 26 14:13:50 UTC 2001

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?P=E4r> I was wondering how to implement
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?P=E4r> multilingual support to BIND
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?P=E4r> 8.2.3. www.wordnames.net let you register
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?P=E4r> domainname containing any UNICODE character
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?P=E4r> set in the World.

The DNS protocol is 8-bit clean, so in theory there is no problem
supporting international character sets. The practice is somewhat
different. The first problem is that no standard encoding scheme has
yet been agreed for representing internationalised domain names. There
are plenty to choose from too. The second problem is how those names
will be presented to applications, like web browsers and mail
systems. What they do with those names is yet another story. For
instance will every browser in the world have to be able to display
every possible character set? Another problem are the limits on domain
names and label lengths in the DNS. A label in a domain name that
needs >63 bytes to be represented in (say) UTF8 loses. So does a
domain name that needs more than 255 bytes.

Which domain(s) do www.wordnames.net allow these names to be
registered? Some registries are rejecting attempts to register names
expressed in likely encoding schemes until the standard has been agreed.