Do I need NS records in a zone file about subdomains I administeron the same Nameserver

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Mon Feb 26 13:36:54 UTC 2001

VLERICK ROLAND wrote:

> Dear Admins,
>
> I am using bind9.1.0 and was wondering about the need of NS records. In my named.conf file I mention that I am autoritative for a subdomain, but I never define NS records in the master("father") zone.
>
> f.e.
>
> sub.pipo.com master ...  In named.conf
>
> but no sub IN NS ns1.pipo.com. In zone file for pipo.com
>
> Do you think this is working or not ??

[SNIP]

Here is a partial answer.  It is the results of running 'doc'

Doc-2.1.4: doc -v -p pipo.com.
Doc-2.1.4: Starting test of pipo.com.   parent is com.
Doc-2.1.4: Test date - Mon Feb 26 08:33:35 EST 2001
Note: Skipping parent domain testing
Found 4 NS and 3 glue records for pipo.com. @a.gtld-servers.net.
(non-AUTH)
Using NSlist from parent domain server a.gtld-servers.net.
NS list summary for pipo.com. from parent (com.) servers
  == buoy.com. ns1.waw.com. ns3.waw.com.
  == ns.orgatech.de.
soa @buoy.com. for pipo.com. serial: 3000030602
ERROR: non-authoritative SOA for pipo.com. from buoy.com.
soa @ns1.waw.com. for pipo.com. serial: 3000030602
soa @ns3.waw.com. for pipo.com. serial: 3000030602
soa @ns.orgatech.de. for pipo.com. serial: 3000030602
SOA serial #'s agree for pipo.com.
Authoritative domain (pipo.com.) servers agree on NS for pipo.com.
ERROR: NS list from pipo.com. authoritative servers does not
  === match NS list from parent (com.) servers
NS list summary for pipo.com. from authoritative servers
  == ns1.waw.com. ns3.waw.com.
ERROR: ns.orgatech.de. claims to be authoritative, but does not appear
in
NS list from authoritative servers
Checking 0 potential addresses for hosts at pipo.com.
  ==
Done testing pipo.com.  Mon Feb 26 08:33:59 EST 2001

Regards,
Jim