How do I get named to start up at boot?

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Sat Feb 24 06:27:55 UTC 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 15:48:54 -0700, Alex Waltrip wrote:

>Can anyone tell me where to put the command to startup named at boot and
>what that command might be?
>I'm running RedHat 7.0.  My named.conf is located at /etc/named.conf.
>All my zone files are under /var/named.

The bind RPM's install a standard SysV startup script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/named, and symlinks in /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc[035].d. The
source RPM includes the ISC tarball, Red Hat-specific patches, and
startup scripts. No initial configuration is provided.

If you want a sample configuration supporting a caching nameserver, get
the caching-nameserver RPM. The latter includes a named.conf and sample
zone files. (Since you already have a named.conf, you probably don't
want this, but I mention it for the benefit of lurkers.)

I'm currently using Red Hat's bind-8.2.3-1.src.rpm, available in Red
Hat's updates FTP directory on any mirror.

Ken
mailto:shiva at well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]