administrating BIND with Private IPs

Christopher Denney chris at isis.bbmbc.org
Fri Feb 23 18:58:44 UTC 2001

Well, What I'm doing is similar...
    I'm having my dhcp server hand out private addresses to machines and
register them on the "dhcp.domain.com" domain. This "fake domain is only
accessible to machines on my network. Only my machines have either a private
or a public, not both.
(those that DO have both are only in the DNS for the public address)
zone "domain.com" {
        type master;
        file "db.domain.com";
};
zone "dhcp.domain.com" {
        type master;
        file "db.dhcp.domain.com";
        allow-query {
                127.0.0.1;         <-- local host  :)
                xxx.xxx.xx.0/24;   <-- publicly addressed network
                172.xx.xx.0/22;    <-- privatly addressed network
        };
        allow-update { 127.0.0.1; };
};
zone "xx.xx.172.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.172.xx.xx";

--
    -- Cd --                    Christopher Denney