Really wierd glitch in resolution

Duncan Hill dhill at cricalix.net
Thu Feb 22 19:26:58 UTC 2001

On 2001-02-22, James A Griffin did say,

> Cricket Liu wrote:

> > > that the user @hoc.mass.edu cannot be delivered to, because
> > > hoc.mass.edu does not exist.  I have used dig several times on
> > > hoc.mass.edu, and only get back the SOA for mass.edu.
> >
> > Is it hcc.mass.edu or hoc.mass.edu?  hcc.mass.edu seems to exist:

Thats whats getting my goat.  Te guy is subbed as
@hcc.mass.edu.  Majordomo/sendmail, when they resolve the address to
send the email, get @hoc.mass.edu.  I can't find any reference to hoc
anywhere in the dig queries.

A side note, sendmail is also rejecting mail from this guy because his
domain doesn't resolve.  Does sendmail only check A records for domain
validity?

> But there seem to be other problems with the mass.edu. domain.

If it ca be proved those errors are what are causing the problem, I'll
tell the guy that.  What is weird, is that my regular mail service can
deliver to him just fine.

--

Sapere aude
My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.