nslookup issues on hp-ux

medaglia at nyctea.blackcat.com medaglia at nyctea.blackcat.com
Thu Feb 22 14:33:05 UTC 2001

Okay, now I'm really confused. I thought nslookup called resolver
routines, which are supposed to check /etc/nsswitch.conf. The libbind.a
looks like it compiles its own versions of the resolver routines, then
gets linked into nslookup. So it is not using the native resolver routines
from HP-UX, which, according to the man pages, go to nsswitch.conf to see
where to resolve from. Also, both texts I consulted ("DNS and BIND, 3rd
Ed." and "(The Concise Guide to) DNS and BIND") describe this resolver
behavior, that nslookup uses the resolver to find which service to use
(files, DNS or NIS). I'm very confused at this point and don't know what
to believe...

Thanks,
Chris