db.addr files in bind 9.1.0

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Thu Feb 22 11:35:32 UTC 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Sears, Robert wrote:

> According to O'Reilly's BIND the following is a good SOA line for the
> loopback db.127.0.0 file

That would be page 67 of DNS & BIND 3rd Edition right ?

> 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA xxx.xxx.com root at xxx.xxx.com (1 10800 3600
> 604800 86400 )
>
> From your help I learned that a TTL line needs to be added when running BIND
> 9.x.x
> These are the scenarios and errors I get when I configure my db files
> accordingly;
>
> 1.TTL 86400 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA xxx.xxx.com root at xxx.xxx.com (1
> 10800 3600 604800 86400 )
> error unknown RR type 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.

Yes, TTL is an unknown RR record type.

> 2.when I move the TTL anywhere else in the SOA line I get
> error can't find TTL
>
> 3.TTL 86400 IN SOA xxx.xxx.com root at xxx.xxx.com (1 10800 3600 604800 86400 )
> error 0.0.127.in.addr.arpa not at top of zone
>
> it seems any combo of TTL CLASS type and RDATA I do, won't go without errors
> I appreciate your knowledge on this matter.

In bind 9 zone files, put a TTL directive ($TTL) in the top.

That is on the first line:

$TTL 86400

So, in general, the following lines could be on the top of your zone file:

  $TTL 86400          ; A TTL value of 1 day
  $ORIGIN 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.
  @    IN SOA xxx.xxx.com. root at xxx.xxx.com. ( 1 10800 3600 604800 86400 )
    	  NS  ns1.xxx.com.
	  NS  ns2.xxx.com.
  1  	  PTR localhost.

For the meaning of zone-file directives like $ORIGIN and $TTL see:

http://gns.nominum.com/doc/english/glossary-o.html
http://gns.nominum.com/doc/english/glossary-t.html#ttl

Regards,

Roy Arends,