SMTP Reverse lookups when forward and reverse DNS don't match.

Jarmoc, Jeff Jeff.Jarmoc at Grubb-Ellis.com
Wed Feb 21 20:19:07 UTC 2001

I've got a somewhat unusual problem, I'm hoping someone can help me with.
Briefly, here's how I'm conifgured, obviously I've substitiuted 1918 IPs for
my real IPs.

mydomain.com has an A record pointing to 127.1.1.1
www.mydomain.com also has an A record point to 127.1.1.1
mail.mydomain.com has an A and MX record pointing to 192.168.1.1

Here's my problem.  When mail.mydomain.com tries to send SMTP to
mail.remotedomain.com, mail.remotedomain.com does a reverse DNS lookup,
which returns mail.mydomain.com as it should.  However, in this case, the
reverse DNS lookup is being compared to a forward lookup for mydomain.com.
Since this returns a different IP (127.1.1.1 in my example) the two don't
match, and the SMTP session is closed.

Is there a way to configure things, such that this won't happen, but people
can still go to mydomain.com to access the server at www.mydomain.com?
www.mydomain.com is hosted externally, so it's IP is always going to be in a
different network than my SMTP server.  If I'm unclear on anything or you
need more information, let me know and I'd be happy to provide it.