query-source address * port 53

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Feb 20 19:45:46 UTC 2001

    Joe> I haven't been able to find an "easy to understand"
    Joe> explanation of this option anywhere. When I don't have it
    Joe> enabled, things *seem* to not work properly for external
    Joe> resolution. When I do have it enabled, things *seem* to work
    Joe> properly again.

    Joe> My understanding of this option is that it pins down DNS
    Joe> queries, both requests and responses, so that they only flow
    Joe> through that port.

Close enough.

    Joe> This was never an issue with BIND 4.

True. By default, BIND4 always used port 53 as the source port for the
queries it made. In BIND8 and 9 a random, unprivileged port is chosen
for those outgoing queries. This upsets firewalls that expect the old
BIND4 behaviour. What you should do is configure BIND to use a fixed,
unprivileged port for its outgoing queries and let the firewall pass
that traffic in and out.