Is this a compromise ?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Feb 20 03:31:26 UTC 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 07:49:12PM -0500, Sumit Mehrotra wrote:
> I am running BIND 8.2.2-P7 on Red Hat 6.2. ( Sorry to hurt the feelings of all
>  the people working for a `secure and safer BIND', I know I should upgrade to
> 8.2.3 or 9.x !)

Agreed with the other responder.  The upgrade isn't exactly "optional"
-- you'll either upgrade, or your machine *will* get broken into.  Good
luck explaining that to your customers if you have any hosted on the
machine.  And if the machine serves multiple-roles (web server,
whatever...) you're putting all of your data on it at risk by not
upgrading.  Why?

And if/when your machine becomes a jumping off point to attack someone
else's machine from, I hope you have heavy egress firewall rules. Otherwise
(especially if you are on high-bandwidth links) you're setting
yourself up for heavy financial liability -- especially now that you've
shown disdain for proper maintenance of your server in a public forum.

Yep, it's monday.  Everyone's grouchy. :-)

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>