Setting up a Master dns under Linux with Bind9

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Feb 19 16:58:16 UTC 2001

	We are looking for new hardware for our master and slave
dns's and are presently using 143-MHZ Sun Sparc Ultras, each with
512 megs of RAM.

	The thought is to replace the five-year-old systems with
high-end Pentium systems running Linux and containing at least
the same amount of RAM if not more.

	My question is basically whether a high-end Pentium
server running Linux is a safe replacement for the Sparc.

	The present Suns are also serving dhcp for our campus
and log about 50,000 to 75,000 lines in syslog each day.

	I know Linux makes for an excellent work station, but is
it stout enough for an enterprise-wide name server, also?
No point in being Penny wise and Pound foolish, here.

Martin McCormick 405 744-7572   Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information services Data Communications Group