named problem

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Feb 19 12:49:52 UTC 2001

    Yu> but there were messages like the following:

    Yu> ...  named[number]: starting BIND 9.1.1rc2
    Yu> named[number]: the default for the 'auth-nxdomain' option is now 'no'

Ignore this message. It's just harmless information. IMHO it would be
better if BIND9 just shut up about it. How NXDOMAIN answers are
handled is documented in the migration notes and the ARM, so there's
no need for named to shout about this at start up. It doesn't do that
for other defaults that have been changed or dropped since BIND8.

    Yu> named[number]: coudn't open pid file /var/run/named.pid: No such file or directory

    Yu> 1. What kind of fatal error is this?

The kind that stops the name server from running. :-)

    Yu> 2. Did I install BIND incorrectly?

Maybe, maybe not. I can't recall if sticking stuff in /var/run happens
by default when configuring BIND9 on Solaris. If it is, it's probably
a bug as Solaris systems don't usually have a /var/run.

    Yu> 3. I couldn't find /var/run/named.pid file. Where is it?

The name server tries to create this file when it starts. The file
contains its PID. Your server couldn't create this file because the
directory doesn't exist.

    Yu> Oh, there is no such directory like /var/run.

Well there's the problem. The name server can't create its PID file so
decides to shut up shop. Either create this directory or else use a
pid-file clause in the options{} statement to make the name server use
another pathname for this file. Be sure that whatever option you
choose that the access permissions are set so that the name server can
create this PID file.