named problem

Yu Kobayashi koba at isl.hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Mon Feb 19 12:20:16 UTC 2001

Hello,

Recently I installed the newest BIND (BIND-9.1.1rc) into
the Sun SPARC Workstation. The installation worked fine,
so I rebooted the workstation.

Now here is a problem. The workstation tried to start
named, but there were messages like the following:

named[number]: starting BIND 9.1.1rc2
named[number]: the default for the 'auth-nxdomain' option is now 'no'
named[number]: coudn't open pid file /var/run/named.pid:
               No such file or directory
named[number]: exiting (due to early fatal error)

I saw these messages in the /var/adm/message file.
Now I have some questions:

1. What kind of fatal error is this?
2. Did I install BIND incorrectly?
3. I couldn't find /var/run/named.pid file. Where is it? Oh,
  there is no such directory like /var/run.

The Operating System is Solaris 8.
I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you in regards.

--