Root zone timeout and workarounds?

denon denon at denon.cx
Mon Feb 19 08:27:55 UTC 2001

I've been digging through the archives, usenet as well as a variety of
other tech docs in search of the answer for my question.  I haven't come up
with any results, but if this is a "frequently asked question", please
don't be afraid to throw me to a url.

Here's the situation we've got:  I have a situation, where I've got the
need for a relatively highly redundant dns system (who doesn't? :). On an
Internet domain, as a test, I've listed 5 nameservers. One of the
nameservers is at a remote location, and the other 4 are at various places
within our internal network.  Due to the fact that the internal network is
all geographically in the same area, there's a "good chance" all 4 here
would go down at the same time. We don't presently have the facilities for
more than one off-site, but I think it's safe to rely on just one.

The problem is this: When I take down the 4 internal nameservers (when I
say take down, I mean ndc stop, not just drop the zone), the 5th nameserver
outside responds just fine. However, I think most resolvers are timing out
before it does. Shouldn't the root servers respond faster than the resolver
times out? While the 4 are down, if you resolve something 10 times in a
row, maybe 6 times it'll time out, and 4 times it'll resolve. (assuming you
resolve something different from the same zone each time .. not caching/etc.).

Is this a common problem? If all 4 of the internal nameservers go down,
will the 5th be of any use?

I'd appreciate any insight you can give me, TIA.

Best Regards.