What happens when both nameservers are down?

Venkatesh MaduraiSubramanian venky at oreka.com
Fri Feb 16 08:24:18 UTC 2001

I have a question and could not find a suitable answer when i searched
for it a few times.

A friend is running his own 2 nameservers, on different IP's but same
machine. The two IP's have different FQDN's. Bind version is 8.2.3 on
Red Hat Linux

Normally, when the server is down, the DNS servers around the globe
lose the IP and other info for the domains hosted by the name server.

I don't know if adding a $TTL line at the top, before the SOA records
would result in the DNS servers of the world caching the info for the
value
specified in the TTL. Are there other ways to do this?

The main objective is to ensure that emails do get delivered (most
SMTP would try for 5 days). If the server is down and IP/MX info are
missing then the emails will definitely bounce.

Idea: Would specifying my hosting provider's secondary name server
help? (this is normally running more frequently than my server)

Thanks in advance

Venkatesh