ISC & BSD Rel.

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Feb 15 20:59:02 UTC 2001

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 10:54:21AM -0500, Hossein Yadollahi wrote:
> Hi,
> Can you  let me know, If  ISC code is different from BSD code,  If
> ISC & BSD are two different organization,
> I have been looking at ISC code & OpenBSD code, I am confused if one is
> source from other ????
> any additional info is appreciated.
>
> Thank you kindly     -hy
>
> --
> Hossein Yadollahi [CAR LB5E02M14]
> Local Internet[1D22]
> hyad at nortelnetworks.com
> Tel: (613)768-1587 (ESN 398)
> Be ++++++++++++++++++++ve :)

BIND 4 code was originally from the Berkeley Software Distribution
(BSD).  The Internet Software Consortium took over responsibility for
it many years ago.  BIND 8 had some ties to BIND 4, but BIND 9 code is
totally different and separate from the original BSD-based BIND code.

See <URL: http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-history.html> for more
details.

OpenBSD is also based on a BSD, albeit a much later version of BSD.  It
has followed its own development.  However, I believe that it now uses
the "current" [for whatever value of "current"] version of BIND.  This
is a wise move, and most BIND users should do the same, modulo making
sure that they are using the "current" version with the least number of
bugs.  ;-)

However, right now they are a bit behind:

Obviously, the OpenBSD Project <URL: http://www.openbsd.org/> is not
one of ISC's projects <URL: http://www.isc.org/>.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B