Simple reverse lookup query question.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 15 03:31:22 UTC 2001

Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>
> > Since 208.187.215.3 is what fls.i8u.org resolves to, I would guess
> > that this is someone running "nslookup" against your server. nslookup
> > always tries to reverse-resolve the address of whatever nameserver it
> > uses. Turn on query logging: do you see a forward lookup from this
> > same address immediately after the reverse lookup?
>
> I really should read some RFC's. :) Am I supposed to resolve the reverse?

That's up to your discretion. There's no requirement that your nameserver be able to reverse-resolve its own address.
It's just a nasty misfeature of nslookup that those lookups are being generated in the first place (assuming that's
what's generating them).

> This responsibility surely isn't delegated to me.
>
> I suppose this is one of the new features of 8.2.3?

In order to allow the client to resolve this, you'd need to, at a minimum, relax your allow-query ACL(s). Also, you'd
need to relax any allow-recursion ACLs you have, or make yourself a stealth slave for the reverse zone, in which case
recursion wouldn't be necessary. There isn't anything particularly different about 8.2.3 in this regard.

- Kevin