BIND unappproved updates

asenec at senechalle.net asenec at senechalle.net
Wed Feb 14 04:28:57 UTC 2001

You're like me--administer your own server last, and that's what
I planned to do, until two of our nameservers were exploited through
8.2.2-P7 yesterday.  My Solaris had a drive failure last fall,
and when I reinstalled, my compile environment was broken,
so when I quit last night, I still had not been able
to get 8.2.3 upgraded.  I just knew I'd get back on to my server
and find an empty drive.  Fortunately, that didn't happen, and
after a couple hours of work, I was successfully upgraded to
8.2.3 on my own machine.  Once you've seen how easily the
script kiddies get root access through named, you won't rest
until you have upgraded to 8.2.3.

Annette