Can I use the zone name as CNAME ?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Feb 13 19:25:44 UTC 2001

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:17:42PM -0600, stuart nichols wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 09:52:17AM -0800, Trinh wrote:
> > > I would like use one of my zone name as a CNAME to the
> > > other name.  Is it possible?  I kept getting an error
> > > message as the following:
>
> > > CNAME and OTHER DATA error
>
> > > Please advice :)
>
> > Absolutely not, as you have found.  What you can do is have an A record
> > for your zone name, and CNAME the other names to it.  E.g.,
>
> Well, not ABSOLUTELY not.  If he can get the level above him
> to enter a CNAME for his name, then it will work.  (His question
> doesn't exclude this possibility.)

ABSOLUTELY not, yes.

If it is a ZONE name [not just a domain name], then the parent zone will
have to delegate authority using NS records.  You can't have NS records
and CNAME records.  Plus, when the zone is loaded, it will wipe out the
CNAME records.

ABSOLUTELY not, yes.

> If his new domain name were  fred.trihn.example  and he wanted to
> CNAME that to  bob.example  then he would get the person who owns
> trihn.example to make a CNAME entry in the trihn.example zone,
> pointing fred.trihn.example to bob.example.  This type of CNAME
> will work just fine.  He wouldn't be hosting fred.trihn.example
> himself (no entries at all for fred.trihn.example on his own DNS
> server), but he doesn't need to do that, anyway, since he wants
> all traffic for fred.trihn.example to be redirected to bob.example.

But this also isn't a zone name.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B