MX priority configuration when using a virus scanning machine in conjunction with your MTA.

Cricket Liu cricket at VeriSign.com
Tue Feb 13 17:07:24 UTC 2001

> I am interested in hearing how people have configured their DNS to handle
> the problem of MX priorities when they want incoming / outgoing mail to be
> cleaned by a seperate mail scanning machine.
>
> "This is how we did it"s and good references are very much appreciated.

If you want to make sure all your mail is funneled through the virus
scanner,
you must list it as the most preferred mail exchanger.  You could still have
one or more backup mail exchangers, but they'd just queue the mail until
they could deliver it to the scanner.

The scanner could then have some configuration that told it to forward the
mail on to a mail hub.

cricket