modifying IPs and serials in a bunch of dns data files

Maximo Ramos maximo at violadores.org
Tue Feb 13 05:45:03 UTC 2001

Hi

I hope the subject is pretty clear, I have plenty of dns-data files in
/var/named/data1 ... Plenty of domains pointing to the same IP ...
But my ISP informed me of a change in my static IP, I was about to write a
script with sed to change all the old IP to the new one, but then I
realized the issue of the serial number.

My dns confs are very simple:

@               IN SOA XXX.XXXXXXXXXXX.XXX. XXXX.XXXXXXXX.XXX. (
                        5       ; serial, todays date + todays serial
                        10800   ; refresh, seconds bla, bla ...

Is there any unix tool I can use to detect the serial number and
increment it by one? I use RH Linux if that matters ...

Or better, I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel .. Is there any
script out there that does what I want? Just to change 1.2.3.4 to
5.6.7.8 and to increase the serial number ...

Thank you.