MX records

David Gamache dag at dagnetsolutions.com
Tue Feb 13 05:17:04 UTC 2001

Hi list,

I am in a bind trying to figure out what I did wrong with my zone files.  I
have 2 servers.  One runs bind, post.office and a bunch of web sites.  I now
have a couple servers and am putting web sites on there.  However, something
in my DNS records is wrong; Email sent from non-local domains to our domains
that have web sites on the 2nd server bounce with this reason:    5.7.1
Unable to relay for someone at somebody.com.

Here is a mock up zone file for primary somebody.com.  Do you see anything
wrong with the MX records that would cause this?

;
@        IN SOA    ns1.myfirstserver.com. hostmaster.myfirstserver.com. (
            2000122001   ; serial number
            43200    ; refresh every 12 hours
            7200     ; retry after 2 hours
            1209600  ; expire after 2 weeks
            172800)  ; default ttl is 2 days
;
         IN NS    ns1.myfirstserver.com.
;
localhost    IN     A   127.0.0.1
;
; Other Name servers

@       IN      NS      ns2.someoneelsesserver.com.

;Mail eXchange records
pop	IN	A	1.2.3.123
	IN	MX	10	pop.somebody.com.

smtp	IN	A	1.2.3.123	;SMTP server
mail	IN      cname   smtp.safepages.com.     ;external SMTP server for
dialup clients

www	IN	A	1.2.3.4	;web site on my other second server
@	IN	A	1.2.3.4   ;web site
ftp	IN	cname	www	;ftp site

This is weird: if I change the web site address in the zone file from
1.2.3.4 to an IP on the same system as post.office and bind, people can send
email to the domain.

Thank you very much for your help,
David Gamache