More on BIND 9.1, Views, and Zone Transfers

D. J. Bernstein 75628121832146-bind at sublist.cr.yp.to
Tue Feb 13 00:56:31 UTC 2001

Kevin Darcy writes:
> According to my archives, there were also a couple of niche cases where
> I mentioned using rsync-over-ssh for replication of zone data as well.

Wanting something faster than NOTIFY is not a ``niche case.''

You also suggested rsync as a way to replicate weighting information.
This is closely analogous to replicating client differentiation---which
is the problem that started this thread and several independent threads.

> But DJBdns, as far as I can see, is selective/arbitrary about which
> standards it honors

Once again: djbdns supports zone transfers. I simply don't _recommend_
zone transfers. Server replication through rsync over ssh does exactly
what most people want; zone transfers don't.

You mentioned the IXFR option. Sure, IXFR saves time for large zones,
because it transmits only the changes. But rsync automatically does the
same thing _and_ compresses the data _and_ doesn't require that all your
zone modifications be made through a particular update protocol---it
works without a journal of changes!

The BIND company isn't just reinventing the wheel. It's reinventing the
pushcart in a world full of cars.

---Dan