Here's a tough Resolve question

Lee, Randy G Mr TAMC Randy.Lee at haw.tamc.amedd.army.mil
Mon Feb 12 20:54:46 UTC 2001

We are currently running DNS 4.94-P1 within a split DNS environment along
with a very unique configuration.  We are currently attempting to upgrade to
BIND version 8.2.3 and are finding the features with our current
4.9.4-P1(could be a bug)  are not supported in 8.2.3.

Here's the scenario with our current 4.9.4-P1:
	All of our firewall protected clients resolve to the internal DNS.
The internal DNS supports several ORIGINS, ours.com, theirs1.com,
theirs2com, theirs3.com and etc.  We have only a partial listing of hosts in
each ORIGIN, only the hosts that reside within the internal network.  If the
internal DNS server receives a query for a particular supported ORIGIN and
the host is not found, the internal DNS server will FORWARD the query to our
external DNS, which in turn will resolve.  For example, if an internal
client sends a query to the internal DNS "hosta.theirs1.com " and the
internal DNS server does not have that particular host within its
ORIGIN/database, it will forward the query onto the external DNS server for
resolution.  However, if the internal DNS "did have" a record entry for
"hosta.theirs1.com", it would have resolved locally and sent the answer
directly back to the client.

Here's what we are finding with BIND version 8.2.3:
	If an internal client sends a query to the internal DNS
"hosta.theirs1.com " and the internal DNS server does not have that
particular host within its ORIGIN/database, it will simply reply back to
client "host not found".   It fails to forward the query onto the external
DNS server for resolution.

Does anyone know how I can get BIND version 8.2.3 to work like our current
BIND 4.9.4-P1?