Bind 9.1.0 lockups, Bind 9.2 snapshot

John Fulton jfulton at arctic.net
Fri Feb 9 17:42:22 UTC 2001

I was upgrading from 8.2.2p5 that worked perfectly fine. I had 9.1.0,
8.3.2, and 8.2.2p7 all freezing on DEC Unix 4.0F. They would run fine for
about 8-12 hours then just stop handling requests. The process was still
running, no core file, and a line now and again would appear in the syslog
but that was it. no query against the server would work.

I eventually recompiled 8.3.2 using gcc instead of DEC Unix's bundled cc
and it fixed it. Before the make depend, I issued "CC=gcc" and afterwards I
had to edit the Makefile and changed CDEBUG to just "-g -O2" and deleted
"-pthread" from REENTRANT.

This compiled successfully and has now been running for a week and a half
with no problems.

I am reluctant to attempt trying 9.1.x now that I have a stable version
back up and running.

At 03:20 AM 2/9/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I ran 9.1.0 on tru64 5.0 and 5.1 with no problems, although those
>machines had little load.
>
>I then stuck it on our "main" dns server under 4.0E and it kept
>crashing every couple of hours.  It would be running, and you'd even
>see some stuff in the logs going on (transfers I think), but it would
>not respond to any new queries.
>
>I'd look in the logs for some real errors and not see anything unusual
>
>Finally had to downgrade everything to 8.2.3 because customers were
>complaining
>
>On 6 Feb 2001 13:45:06 -0800, James Hood <jhood at us.telia.net> wrote:
>

> >Everyone who is having problems with Bind 9.1.0 crashing / locking up /
> >freezing after a few hours / up to 12 hours of usage please post to this
> >list.  A few people have written about their 9.1.0 lockups (Loren Jan Wilson
> >and Scott Hollatz) , and I'm experiencing the same thing on a Sun E250 w/256
> >megs of RAM.
> >
> >Mark Andrews at Nominum wrote in response to a user who wrote about Tru64
> >crashes, "This is fixed in 9.1.1."
> >
> >I looked for 9.1.1 on the ISC FTP site, but could only find a 9.2.0
> >snapshot.  Is there an alternate location for new snapshots, CVS, etc?
> >Forgive my ignorance of Bind development.
> >
> >As I write this, I'm compiling the 9.2.0 snapshot from the FTP site.  If
> >that results in lockups, I guess I'll have to back up to 8.2.3.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Jim

TelAlaska, Inc.                                 John Fulton
201 E 56th Ave.                           Network Architect
Anchorage, Alaska                 Cisco Certified CCNA/CCDA
99518                               Microsoft Certified MCP
907 563 2003                        A+ Certified Technician
Fax 550 1646                             jfulton at arctic.net
Interior Telephone Company         Mukluk Telephone Company
Eyecom Cable                        TelAlaska Long Distance
TelAlaska Networks                               Arctic Net