BINS Members forum (was: tsig exploit)

Claude Marinier claude.marinier at dreo.dnd.ca
Thu Feb 8 18:19:31 UTC 2001

I thought that the issue was

	Should ISC tell the world about a security problem at the
	same time as they tell those who re-distribute or should they
	tell the world after those re-distributors have had time to
	work on a solution?

or, more generally,

	Should one tell the world about a security problem before
	there is a fix?

What is the difference between tell everyone as soon as possible and tell
everyone after there is a fix? I am asking because it is not clear. Many
crackers will know of a problem before ISC and the news will spread. Some
less informed crackers may learn of it sooner if ISC tells as soon as they
know. What do you (as a user) gain from early disclosure? As a developer,
you gain from early disclosure and I read that there is provision for that
in the proposed BIND Members forum (even waived fees in some cases).

--
Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier at dreo.dnd.ca
Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675