Simple question that doesn't let me sleep :)

Nathan Champion nathan at webpros.co.nz
Thu Feb 8 10:21:56 UTC 2001

I would say that you are simply wanting to register a domain name though a registar (like
networksolutions.com) but instead of using your ISPs DNS servers, you want to use your own DNS
servers. If this is correct then you will need to have at least 2 dns servers running (one
primary and one secondry) and both will need seperate and static IP's. So you would have to ask
your ISP about that (mine gave me one and I use a friends static as a secondry DNS server).
Otherwise it is possible to simply 'host' your own website and email. You can setup the domain
and use your ISP's DNS servers, then get just one static IP. Tell your ISP to point any A
records to that static (if you want your machine to be known on the internet as
something.yourhost.com or www.yourhost.com tell them to add an A record that basically says
www.yourhost.com -> 123.123.123.123 (that number will be your static IP)) Then it is easy to
setup apache to serve up your website.

HTH,

Nathan

--
>->  v      }  ()  \|/ 0  ><> Nathan Champion <>< 0   )|(
>--><    (.) } 0   \|/   ><> nathan at krayup.com <><    )|(
>->  v      < o    \|/  o ><> www.krayup.com <><    o )|(

Eeyore was watching Tigger bouncing MAILER-DAEMON messages, sighed
and thought to himself "They're just spam again. Nobody would want to
send a real email, and if they did, it would just be bounced."