Internal DNS + External Lookup issues

Ed Stafford dysan_3000 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 22:22:04 UTC 2001

Hello.  I would assume this is possible from what I
have read, but all similar occurances that I've come
across have failed.  Here is what I am trying to do:

I have one server with a single NIC inside.  This is
on a 192.168.10.0 network.  We have a firewall
connected to the outside world that does lookups for
us.  It's address is 192.168.10.254.  Normally, we
just use the .254 address in our /etc/resolv.conf.  I
want to run bind on my server so that I can administer
a local domain from it, but any lookup that isn't
hosted by my instance of bind will query the .254
address.

So I should be able to look up www.internal.net
locally, but when I request www.yahoo.com, it should
query the .254 system.

I've tried using the 'forwarders' option in the
/etc/named.conf file like:
options {
  directory "/usr/local/bind";
  auth-nxdomain no;
  query-source port 53;
  forwarders {
    192.168.10.254;
  };
  allow-query {
    127.0.0.1;
    192.168.10/24;
  };
};

I can't figure out what the problem is.  Anyone?

Ed Stafford