nsupdate/DNS mgmt tool

Michael Fuhr mfuhr at dimensional.com
Wed Feb 7 05:42:11 UTC 2001

I wrote the disclaimers about Net::DNS when it was still young and
untested.  While I still recommend thorough testing before putting
anything into production, Net::DNS has been used on production networks
for several years now without any major problems reported.  I know of
one large company that has used Net::DNS to make hundreds of dynamic
updates per day for the past three years and I'm not aware of anything
going wrong.

I'm still working on Net::DNS, though development often goes through
long dormant phases (as do I in general -- a certain author probably
thinks I've died because I haven't been getting back to him).  I've
just uploaded the latest development version (0.19) to the page
mentioned below.  The most significant recent change is partial TSIG
support (queries & updates are signed, but responses aren't checked).
I've tested TSIG-signed dynamic updates against BIND 8 and BIND 9
and they appear to work.  Developers concerned about the security
of dynamic updates may wish to investigate the new TSIG functionality.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/