Please help. I am going insanse. Trying to setup a virtual domain with 8.2.3

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 7 00:12:51 UTC 2001

NOSPAM.elcid at pinolero.net wrote:

> Please help.  I am going insanse.  Trying to setup a virtual domain
> with 8.2.3.  I have done the following.  Internic has this website
> pointing to my dns server.

Do you mean you *registered* this domain? I'm not sure what you mean by
"pointing".

> 2. Added a new Zone Data File, and Added a
> PTR record.

So, is this a reverse zone (which maps addresses to names) or a forward
zone (which maps names to addresses)? PTR's are reverse records, but I've
never heard anyone refer to a reverse zone as "virtual" before. So I'm
confused what you're trying to do here.

> restarted named. Waited a whole day, and the internet
> cannot see me yet.  This is a virtual Domain I am trying to setup.  My
> Original Domain Name works great, it has been working for a few months
> now.  Please, Could someone here please tell me what could be possible
> be wrong?  Btw, I gave this domain name an IP by doing this
>
> /sbin config eth1:1 192.168.42.101 netmask:255.255.255.0  Could this
> be the problem?  I have not given it a real IP address, so thats why
> its not working?? plese help. BTW, internally I can ping my virtual
> domain no problem.

You wouldn't be able to successfully run an Internet web server or
nameserver with an address like that.

Could you possibly specify the name of the domain so we could look at it
and get an idea of how it is set up?

- Kevin