Dynamic DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 6 23:17:45 UTC 2001

A 60-second TTL on the A record of one of your NS'es would be very inefficient. Other nameservers would be constantly having to re-fetch that A record. It would be next to useless. And 60 seconds might not
be long enough to prevent the hijacking either, depending on how quickly the DHCP server might give your old address to someone else after you've released it.

As I said earlier, it's not really practical to run a registered NS on a dynamically-assigned address. If you don't have any statically-assigned machines available to you for slave service, I'd probably
pay someone to provide the slave service for you. Or pay the extra money to get a statically-assigned address for your machine. Either option would be better than trying to kludge something on a
dynamically-assigned address.

                                                                                                                                                - Kevin