Dynamic DNS

Pierre LEONARD Pierre.Leonard at edf.fr
Tue Feb 6 09:46:47 UTC 2001

Hi Kevin,

And thank for tese informations.

> The difference is one of scale. If someone hijacks the address of your HTTP or
 SMTP server, i.e. a "leaf" node, they get the opportunity to intercept your
 web
and/or mail traffic for a variable amount of time, which you can control
 somewhat by tuning your TTL values. If they hijack the address of your NS,
 however --
a "branch" node -- then they can run a nameserver which advertises any NS list
 they want for your domain (including perhaps addresses of otherr servers
 under
their control!) with a large TTL, and everyone will keep going back to those
 nameservers for information about your domain, instead of your nameservers.
 So
instead of a hijack of mere minutes or hours, for only *some* of the names in
 your domain, potentially they could hijack your *entire* domain for days or
 even
weeks. Which is a much bigger exposure.

OK I understand what do you means, But does that means, that if I put a TTL of 60s for the A entry of my secondary DNS, the other DNS that will cache that reference don't  work with that shorter  TTL  ?

Making the older address valide for name service even after the change.

Sincerely

Pierre Léonard