PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT: BIND-Members Forum

Lawrence Chan webmaster at montevino.com
Tue Feb 6 06:11:25 UTC 2001

Hello,

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> And just for fun you repeat this FUD twice.

Firstly, I am not Amdalh (I hope I spelled the name right) and have no products for
IBM to FUD.  I am not working on any open-source DNS product in competition with
BIND.  So I don't really know what you mean by FUD.

> Let's play this out.
>
> Current scenario:

Your scenarios (though you yourself mentioned at the end of your email that they
are exaggerated) while not answering my concern of whether we are handling the
problem with the right solution, in fact help make my point.  Just because people
reacted badly to the first major (and with no precedence) DNS problem does not give
you the right to play God (or Goddess which ever strike your fancy.)  I presume
you've heard of the notion of learning curve.  And by expounding purposeful
disinformation (a delayed information is no information) would not solve the
underlying problem that BIND users and their transactions with the net are being
put in unnecessary risk during these blackout period, through no fault of their
own.  And who is going to be responsible if financial loss should occur during
these periods by them unknowingly keeping their servers on?  You?  Have you thought
about this potential negligence when conjured up your scenarios?  Besides, I think
those 50% of bosses deserve a lot more credit than you've given them, given the
situation.

Lawrence Chan
lchan at montevino.com