Error in NT event Log

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Feb 6 04:22:11 UTC 2001

         These are normal and can be ignored.

At 01:31 PM 2/5/01, Don Pierce wrote:

>I recently installed V8.2.3 on my NT
>box and setup just as a cahe-only server.
>
>I noticed that during every statup I get the
>following errors in the Event Log:
>
>ctl_server: socket: Unknown error  "App: W 'Mon Feb 05 09:36:28 2001':
>named - " unix control "C:_WINNT_System32_dns_bin_ndc" socket failed:
>Unknown error  "

         ndc does not exist on NT so the socket fails.

>AND
>
>App: W 'Mon Feb 05 09:36:27 2001': named - " directory
>c:_winnt_system32_dns_etc is world-writable  "
>App: W 'Mon Feb 05 09:36:27 2001': named - " directory . is world-writable
>"

         It's just telling you that anyone can write to the named default directory
   where you placed your configuration files.

>Should I be concerned about any of these entries?
>How can I get rid of them.

         You can't directly.

>Is the Worl-writable a problem?

         No as long as other people don't log into the box.  If you trust them then
   there's no problem.  If you don't trust them they shouldn't be allowed on the box.

         Danny