CNAME Definition

Erik Aronesty erik at primedata.org
Mon Feb 5 19:15:35 UTC 2001

Dear Joseph,

By definition, yes.  I would never dispute that.

But logically, SOA/NS's should be exempt from CNAME chaining.

RFC2535/2.3.5 proposes that SIG/KEY/NXT records be exempt from CNAME
chaining because they are 'special records' for which it is not logical to
process chaining.

In the case of doing nslookup -type=SOA on an aliased domain... the SOA
should also be exempt from chaining for the same reason.

The returned results from the current set of resolvers are misleading and
incorrect for any purposes.

                - Erik