Problem with glue records..

Ken Fischer kenf at junebug.org
Mon Feb 5 18:48:20 UTC 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Robert Weber wrote:

> Yea, I was deligating part of my RR's to myself.  Dumb.  I fixed it and it
> works now.  It's strange that it worked with 8.2.2 but not with 8.2.3 but
> there are alot of things that way.  ON another note, can a name have an MX
> but not an A record?  I don't see anything in the RFC's that say so but
> bind 8.2.3 refuses the zone with "no glue" errors.  I don't see that an A
> record should be necessary for mx records.  I'd like to have
>
> email.colorado.edu.	in 	mx	10	mx.colorado.edu.
>
> even if email.colorado.edu doesn't exist.
>
> 						Robert Weber
> 						University of Colorado

Robert,

I have been able to successfully implement this type of a situation
in a test-lab environment.  The one thing that we found which will
complain loudly is Sendmail, if you are using it as your MTA.
You will need to add the fully qualified hostname to the sendmail.cw
file (most likely in /etc/mail) to prevent a delivery failure due to:
"DSN: Local configuration error".

I haven't had time to peruse the RFC's on this... so I don't know if
it is a documented practice or not.  I prefer to have the A records
in place (or at least a CNAME) for any hostname that appears in my
DNS, so I've never really considered it an issue.  Interesting topic
for discussion though.  :)

Hope that helps...

--
Ken Fischer, CCNA  <kenf at junebug.org>
PGP Fingerprint: 9523 54B6 D67B BBFB 53B3  2F3B 7E81 0891 C495 CB50