BIND 9.1, Views, and Zone Transfers

Matthew Thompson matthewt at fairplay.co.uk
Mon Feb 5 11:05:35 UTC 2001

> If you're using internal and external views, why would you want to put
> the internal one on an external name server? Remember most people

I can give you my reasoning. I have an internal NS and an external NS along
with a slave for the internal NS.

The external NS's slaves are run by our downstream ISP and are
geographically and networkally (IS that a word?) separate.

The External NS is not hugely loaded but handles ALL traffic that the
internal nameservers can't answer directly. We use a firewall with a
protected DMZ to host our external name server and all external services -
by using a view on this server I would hope to cut down on the duplication
of queries and enable a faster more reliable service (The primary Internal
NS is not as stable a box as the External NS)

M at t :o)