Réf. : Re: replication between primary & secondary bind servers in linux?

Pierre LEONARD Pierre.Leonard at edf.fr
Mon Feb 5 10:33:54 UTC 2001

> As for "replicating the DNS records from the primary DNS to the
seconday DNS", why don't you just use the DNS protocol? If you
configure the slave (secondary) server correctly, it will
automatically pick up the DNS data from the zone's master (primary)
server. That's what most people do. There's no need whatsoever for
copying files or NFS mounts.

Yes, and  it's very simple, and You can also do that in security with TSIG.

I have a complementary question about automatic update.
I have two DNS a master and a slave (with staticIP addresses). They manage a dynamic IP address zone with a TTL of 60s

I have add "notify yes ; also-notify mydns.addr;" in the zone description.

But when I update the zone with nsupdate, a new cname for exemple, the propagation in the slave take a few minutes, greater than the TTL. So, it's a problem if the IP address change, the delete followed by an add request will not be "visible" bye the slave clients.

Is there some option to tune that timeout ?

Sincerely.

Pierre Léonard