replication between primary & secondary bind servers in linux?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Feb 5 09:32:57 UTC 2001

     > I am trying to find out the best way to replicate the dns
     > records from the primary DNS to the secondary.  I figured I
     > could just mount the directory using NFS and run a cron job
     > that copies it over and changes the zone from master to
     > secondary or whatever you call it, but I was hoping for a
     > better way.  I only need to modify the records on the primary
     > of course, so I only need to go one way.  How do most people do
     > this?  Any suggestions?

First of all, don't hide your email address. All it does is annoy and
inconvenience the people who try to answer your question. It's also
VERY anti-social to do this on a mailing list. bind-users at isc.org is a
list that's bidirectionally gatewayed into comp.protocols.dns.bind. [I
wish the list moderator rejected postings that had bogus email
addresses in them. Sigh.] And it's not as if this pitiful attempt to
prevent spam actually works either.

As for "replicating the DNS records from the primary DNS to the
seconday DNS", why don't you just use the DNS protocol? If you
configure the slave (secondary) server correctly, it will
automatically pick up the DNS data from the zone's master (primary)
server. That's what most people do. There's no need whatsoever for
copying files or NFS mounts.